Friday, August 26, 2011

Busy Little Worker Bee...

I've been really busy trying to finish my wholesale order by the deadline.  It's not the easiest task in the world with hundreds of distractions all around me.  However I do manage to get a good chunk of work done on a daily basis so I'm proud of myself.

With Dragon*Con right around the corner, I'm starting to pick up my books again.  I've decided to start my bi-annual re-read of the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey.  If you haven't heard of it, the story is beautiful and extremely well written.  There's a little bit of everything in it from political intrigue, to fantasy settings, to well...the dirty stuff.


I get teased quite a bit for reading these books because they have more than a little sex in them.  Specifically of an S&M variety.  Obviously if you can't handle that, then don't try to read it.  I'm not exactly the sort one would expect to read this sort of thing.  However, I find that it's not really a story about sex.  It's a deep story with roots in faith and spirituality.  Despite what you'd believe, each act is described with grace and depth that you might not expect from a regular trashy romance novel.  The act itself is most times glazed over while the main character describes the emotional and ritualistic nature of being with that person.

I highly recommend this series to anyone that has an interest in epic stories that stretch over large landscapes, danger and intrigue, and a touch of spice to tie it all together.

I'm almost finished with the first book in the trilogy, but I'm already planning ahead to what I'll read next.  What are your favorite books?  I'd love to hear a good recommendation on what would be good to read next.

No comments:

Post a Comment